Senior Backend Developer - Laravel
Most of us have had ailing family members struggle to navigate the healthcare system, unable to find and connect to the care they need in time. It’s tough. We are solving this problem.
Caredove is a health care referral management platform for connecting patients with community healthcare services. With our software, we have helped over one million patients access healthcare in Canada, from newborns needing health screening to seniors accessing home care. Staff at over one thousand community health care organizations use Caredove, like Canadian Red Cross, Royal Ottawa Hospital and the Alzheimer Society. We are just getting started.
We want to bring a consumer-oriented approach to healthcare software where the public finds it easy to book services online, and clinicians can connect patients with community care, simply, right from their electronic medical record. The company is based in Orillia, Ontario where we have an office. However, most of our team of ~20 people work remotely. You can too if that is best for you.
The Senior Backend Developer is an expert in Laravel development. We want our app to purr like a kitten, so we are rebuilding our entire application, module by module. You are a key part of this process. You are on a small team of frontend and backend developers, designers, and devops, working closely to build our web application
The Senior Backend Developer - Laravel at Caredove builds the backend code and infrastructure for new modules for the Caredove platform. This role also researches different solution approaches, builds technical plans and collaborates with the team. They code ambitious new features, like algorithms for self screening that involve routing a service request to the right agency within a geographic network.
We want to create a work environment that encourages positivity, celebrates progress, supports teamwork and enables autonomy, while actively removing ways of working that may discourage our staff. This role is a key contributor to this culture in the technical team.
This role reports to the CTO.
Caredove is built using a modern Laravel API setup, with separate Frontends developed in NextJS, deployed using modern serverless platforms.
Backend Laravel API (focus for this job position)
The Laravel stack uses a RESTful API approach, fully tested with PHPUnit. The code is written compliant to PSR-12 standards and is enforced through styleci.com integration.
The API is hosted using Laravel Vapor, a serverless PHP platform that uses AWS Lambda functions to respond to each request. The database is a Postgres 14 instance, and a Redis Cache cluster.
Local API development environment is setup to use Docker, which has Postgres, Nginx, Redis, all built-in. We use Minio to mimic the S3 API for local development.
Our frontend applications are built using React/NextJS, and Typescript is used to enforce type compliance and code compliance.
We have a deep custom design system using TailwindCSS. We share developer-ready Figma designs using Zeplin.
Frontend test are written in Cypress and validated upon each PR request in Github. The staging and production sites are deployed on Netlify.
Caredove uses the HL7 FHIR standard to provide open healthcare APIs. This is currently built in Java using HAPI FHIR.
In this role, you will:
- Ship APIs, integrations, and data models to support Caredove’s web application
- Collaborate on system level decisions through regular architecture meetings, solving complex problems enthusiastically
- Help organize and manage agile sprints
- Write maintainable, scalable and testable code for our backend infrastructure
- Grow as a developer through mentorship of fellow developers, supporting knowledge sharing across the team
- Participate frequently in code reviews and feature demos.
- Contribute to application development activities outside of app code, including database modeling, query optimization, and other advanced requirements to ensure high performance
- Contribute to the development of our public HL7 FHIR API
- Stay up to date on latest development technologies and methodologies
- Collaborate with designers, product leaders, operations personnel and sales to deliver important features and modules for users
- Production level experience with Laravel or other MVC framework, Postgres, PHPUnit or other PHP testing framework, API design using REST.
- Experienced using GIT and Gitworkflows
- Redis or Memcache experience
- Strong understanding of backend best practices and proven proven ability to solve complex asynchronous problems
- Understanding of coaching techniques to support other developers in best practices and advanced programming techniques
- Proven experience in agile methodologies in software development
Attributes you possess:
- Enthusiastic - You provide positive, high levels of energy that provides you the stamina to solve complex problems, while encouraging other team members to perform at their best.
- Strong communication skills- You speak plainly and truthfully, sharing complex ideas clearly.
- Mission driven - We are transforming how people get care at home and in their community, and you are passionate about playing an integral role in a small team.
- Impact oriented - You want to execute to the highest standard and care deeply about your work having a positive practical effect.
- Detailed and Reliable: You are orderly and planful, detail-focused, and conscientious.
Bonus Points for:
- AWS / CloudOps experience
- Health sector experience
- HL7 FHIR experience
- Speaking and writing French
Other Role Information
Job Type: Full Time
Location: Fully remote within Canada with preference for Eastern Time Zone. You can use the Orillia office if desired.
Start Date: Flexible
Paid Vacation: No defined limit. To ensure breaks are taken, we have a summer shut-down week and a winter shut down-week (2 weeks total), where all employees are off work. All reasonable vacation requests are accommodated, in addition.
Flexible Schedule: General core hours to ensure collaboration with the team, and flexible beyond this time. Ability to work remote anywhere in Canada, with preference to Eastern Standard Time.
Learning and development: Up to $1,000 professional development budget per year.
Team socials: Approximately every quarter.
Community involvement: Highly encouraged through flexible working hours.
Why Join Caredove:
We want to build a place where people enjoy working together to solve hard problems.
We are a small but growing team, and our roles and responsibilities are still a little bit fluid depending on the pressures of the day. We hold each other up, we make tough decisions together, we brainstorm regularly, we value “team” over “ego”, we give and take constructive criticism, we celebrate success, we get it done, we mentor, we wear hoodies AND suits. We avoid report writing, long emails, and using business jargon whenever possible. We try to live healthy lives.